Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday Chanterelles!

With rain hitting the windshield I headed east to meet a couple friends, Ron and Paula, for a mushrooming expedition out east of Monroe.  We were heading to a location that on my GPS is simply listed as "The Spot" in hopes of finding chanterelles.

I have a freezer full of this year's chanterelle harvest already - so the trip was mostly for Ron and Paula to gather some mushrooms.  I'm in more of a "catch and release" mindset...

We parked and headed into the woods.  Just a few feet in we came across a remarkable little stump covered with mushrooms (you can click on the photo for a larger picture):


And just a few feet further along we started seeing chanterelles:



It's been a very good season for chanterelles and Ron and Paula quickly filled their baskets:


Those baskets were completely full 20 minutes later...

And in an hour and a half we were heading back to the car loaded with beautiful chanterelles.

Along the way, I took the opportunity to photograph some of the mushrooms that caught my eye:



Possibly  Laccaria amethystina


In the end, it was a very successful day all around!




No comments:

Post a Comment